Monday, January 31, 2011

Hey Girl, Let's Talk About Ryan Gosling (Part I)


What is it about Ryan Gosling?

In the past several years, this former Mickey Mouse Clubber has positively captivated the ladies of my generation.  Here's a clip.  Why?  Because I like you!



Funny to think that in his early career days (Mouseketeer notwithstanding), he was known for playing teenage psychopaths.



Then The Notebook happened.  You know, I'd love to say I was a huge fan beforehand, but like everyone else I know, I went all Team Ga-Ga Gosling when I saw that kiss in the rain.  Though really, I got more turned on when Noah removes Allie's stocking.  It's hard (ha ha) for actors to convince me they really want to have sex with their leading ladies, but that hungry look in his eyes . . . when I watch that scene, I need to be alone, if ya know what I mean.

Also, he repeated the iconic rain kiss with costar Rachel McAdams at the MTV Movie Awards that year.  Yum.



But it's more than his beardy and non-beardy sexiness.  Gosling exudes intelligence, not only in his career choices but in his obvious respect for his female costars.  He had a lot to say when the sex scenes of his most recent film, Blue Valentine, put the film in danger of an NC-17 rating:


You have to question a cinematic culture which preaches artistic expression, and yet would support a decision that is clearly a product of a patriarchy-dominant society, which tries to control how women are depicted on screen. The MPAA is okay supporting scenes that portray women in scenarios of sexual torture and violence for entertainment purposes, but they are trying to force us to look away from a scene that shows a woman in a sexual scenario, which is both complicit and complex. It's misogynistic in nature to try and control a woman's sexual presentation of self. I consider this an issue that is bigger than this film.

Feminist SWOON.

Is it any wonder that this blog exists?

What's even more amazing is how Gosling actually read from the blog in an interview.

When he wasn't singing the My Little Pony theme song:



Indie girl/80's nostalgia SWOON.

Even when he's playing characters that range from flawed to downright frightening, I just can't quit the Gosling.


Hey girl, if you consider yourself a Gosling aficionado, stay tuned for tomorrow, when I review his two most recent movies, All Good Things and Blue Valentine!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for that MMC clip of Ryan (and baby JT!). He seriously needs to do a musical. Every time I think it's impossible for me to love him any more than I already do, he goes and sings the My Little Pony theme song. Or does an interview with Ellen, on an exercise bike, in a onesie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvh_87pDaYU
    So much love for him.

    ReplyDelete