Here are the rules that came with the award:
1) Thank the person who nominated me for this award.
2) Copy the award & place it on my blog.
3) Link to the person who nominated me for this award.
4) Tell us 7 interesting things about yourself.
5) Nominate 7 bloggers.
6) Post links to the 7 blogs I nominate.
First of all, I'd like to thank Nikki of Are you there, youth? It's me, Nikki and Sadako of Dibbly Fresh for bestowing this honor upon a lowly almost-30 cube-dweller who likes pink way too much. So that takes care of 1) and 3).
Now I'll tell you 7 things about myself that you may or may not find interesting:
1) My graduating class had 34 people. That's right: THIRTY-FOUR. And people wondered why I wanted to go to college in a major city.
2) I was named after an actress whose real name was Betty, but had a name made up for her when the movie studio deemed Betty too boring.
3) Last night at yoga, I did a handstand by myself for the first time ever! Granted, it was up against the wall, but still. :)
4) When I was a kid, I tried to light a match and burned myself. I've been scared of matches ever since.
5) The band I've seen most often in concert is They Might Be Giants (four or five times).
6) I once hung out with Jen Lancaster, before her books got really big.
7) I've written three YA novels. The first is one I started in 2007, have rewritten three times, and will be re-submitting to agents and publishers. The second began as a short story for a fiction class I took early this year. I just finished the second draft and submitted it to a YA novel contest (because of contest rules, I couldn't submit my first novel). The third I wrote for NaNoWriMo, and will be revisiting soon.
Now I'll nominate 7 bloggers I love. I may not be so good about posting in comments, because I think some of these guys read this blog!
1) Dibbly Fresh: all things old-school YA and new-school pop culture. Sadako is a ton of fun, and I was a fan long before I started this blog.
2) Etiquette Bitch: my friend Mare Swallow's fun and funky blog that proves politeness never goes out of style.
3) Vinotarian: delicious recipes and wine recommendations from two funny Southern ladies.
4) Lifetime, Wow!: two hilarious snarkers take on Lifetime movies. Freaking hysterical.
5) Are you there, youth? It's me, Nikki: because I never tire of the fiction of my youth, AND because Nikki and I love Mike O'Malley!
6) Life, Words & Rock 'n' Roll: the blog of astoundingly talented YA author Stephanie Kuehnert (I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone, Ballads of Suburbia). Read her stuff. Now.
7) The Coffee-Stained Writer: a Florida-based freelance writer offers writing prompts, tips, and encouragement. Sometimes it's nice to know we're not alone in our artistic pursuits!
And finally, I want to thank all my readers. For a long time, I hesitated to start my own blog because I thought, "who's going to care about the babbly musings of a 29-year-old office employee?" Thank you, thank you, thank you for proving me wrong. Keep spreading the blog love and here's to a great 2010!
Tonight, whether you're living it up or staying in, please be safe. I want to see your comments next year!
(And if you ARE living it up, why not check out my post on New Year's Eve bar etiquette? Goes down real smooth!)